“Educating children is far too important a job to be left to parents. We are simply not competent enough. Boarding schools are.”
Rachel Johnson, leading UK journalist
Developing the whole person
- Allows children to develop not just in terms of academic success, but by fostering values, interests and talents that shape a happy and successful future.
- In a boarding setting, pupils develop strong relationships with staff and each other, creating a sound basis from which to grow and develop with confidence.
- Academic studies in a boarding school are woven into all aspects of pupils’ lives, with opportunities throughout the day to extend their knowledge and understanding.
- Stronger relationships can develop with teachers since everyone lives and works alongside each other – this allows staff to develop a better understanding of the needs of each individual.
- Many families enjoy the fact that boarding schools can take care of all aspects of a child’s education leaving family time free and unpressurised.
- Since all extra-curricular activities are organised by or take place at school, there’s no need for lengthy commutes or endless car trips.
- Boarding can help families achieve a better work/life balance; day-to-day issues are taken care of at school providing complete peace of mind for busy parents.
Preparation for life
- Boarding builds confidence, independence, responsibility and social skills.
- Pupils can experience a much wider range of activities and new experiences allowing them to identify lifelong interests and passions.
- Boarding offers an easy transition from school to university life.
Boarding in Oxford
- Oxford offers a particularly wide choice of boarding options; see Our Schools to explore them.
- Oxford is one of the most culturally and academically stimulating cities in the world; see Why Oxford to explore its many advantages and attractions.
“Boarding is the key to the door of independence and discipline.”
“Most importantly, boarders learn how to get on with people, life’s greatest skill.”
Father of four boarders